Follina is one of the most famous villages of the DOCG Prosecco region, just between Conegliano and Valdobbiadene, close to Pieve di Soligo.
Human traces dating back to the middle Paleolithic have been found in this area, though a stronger human impact is due to the roman and medieval periods when the roman road Via Claudia Augusta passed here and the Abbey was established ten centuries later.
Follina was settled on the via Claudia Augusta, a roman road from the Venice lagoon to the german town of Augsburg, with Santa Scolastica springs, cristalline water just from the foot of the mountain overlooking the village.
in 12th-century was founded the Benedictine Abbey (handed it over to the Cistercians in 1146), a splendid example of Romanesque-Gothic architecture, it holds a precious cloister made of small pairs of columns, and among the works of art stands out a Madonna with Child and Saints of 1527 by Francesco da Milano.
The octagone, here found in the fountains of the Abbey, is a symbol of the christianity, meaning resurrection. It is also the transition shape between the earth (the square) and the skies (the circle), touching both shapes, the octagone refers again to the resurrection from the life on earth to the aethernal life in the skies.
This land rich in water has created the right conditions for the development of many handcraft activities, in particular linked to the production of wool and silk, such as carders, dyers, shearers, spinners, weavers, tailors and silkworm breeders.
2 thoughts on “Follina: a trappist abbey in “The name of the rose””